Monday, February 3, 2014

Crabtree Falls

I am elaborating on my original post months ago.  Crabtree Falls is situated between Mount Mitchell and Linville Falls on the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina.  It is located in Little Switzerland in Yancy County off mile post 339.5.  I took Loop A down to the falls, then Loop B on the return trip.  Loop B provided a little more strenuous hiking as I had to hike up rocks and uphill during a decent percent of it.  A Whitetail deer crossed the trail ahead of me as I was hiking.  It was only 3 to 3 1/2 miles to do the round trip, which is not bad.  I took several pictures of the waterfalls and the day was perfect for picture taking.
 
You will pass Mountain Vistas again on your way up to Crabtree Falls.




Once you park, you will see signs for Loop A and Loop B.  I took Loop A which will take you past an outdoor amphitheater



You will be hiking through the woods past the flowers and butterflies.



Onward through canopy of trees.



Beside rolling streams of water.



Until you get to Crabtree Falls, which you will hear before you see it off to the left if taking Loop A to it.  The trail gets rocky so if you have any problems walking or hiking you will need  help. 



Crabtree Falls







And for that close-up ...



I can't imagine what it's like for birds and wildlife to live around the falls each day of their lives.  Waterfalls almost appear to be alive - wise, old mystical beings placed deep in the woods for us to go seek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment