Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Bushkill Falls: Part I

I’m back : )  I normally do not fall ill to viruses that are going around but twice so far this winter I have had upper respiratory infections.  I guess I had two different strains so I should be good now.
Today I want to focus my writing on Bushkill Falls, which was one of my several hang-outs while living in New Jersey.  It’s a great, safe place to go hiking and has scenic waterfalls along the way.  The park is filled with chipmunks also.  The Poconos are my second favorite place to be as I like to stay around mountain ranges, but I have not made it out west yet.  I had gotten so familiar with the area, I could actually guide other people where they needed to go and often people would ask me.  I guess I look like the forestry ranger type. 
After you pay your admission fee (which last season was $12.50 for an adult - less for seniors and children), you will enter a building that has several taxidermy displays.  I like my animals alive, but I do respect the art of taxidermy (and you will see a lot of it in my next post).  You will end up coming out of the other side of the building where your waterfall adventure will begin as you enter the trails that will bring you to them.
image
The first waterfall you will encounter is the Main Falls - the grandest of them all.  Yup, right off the bat, you see the grand poobah of them all.  It’s gorgeous in season.  On this particular day I went there were rainbows being created by the water molecules shooting off of one another and hitting each other and the rays of sunlight at the same time.  This is what I live for - those magical moments in nature.  They are priceless.  You just have to be there at the moment they happen.
image
There are a series of walkways built out of wood that you walk upon around the Main Falls as well as the other falls.  You may see hawks or vultures flying high above the falls.   In the rocks that are by the falls, ferns and lichen grow that native animals feast upon.  And there are chipmunks galore.
image
Ferns growing in the crevices of the rocks that line the walkways.
image
Lichen - a reindeer’s favorite food. 
image
Chipmunks come out to harvest anything left by visitors.
One of the best things in being in nature (as I have said before) are those special moments that are caught at being in the right place at the right time.  While I was walking from the main falls to go to the next falls, I saw the sun reflecting on the stream to create a rainbow of colors.  The canopy of trees allowed just enough sunlight in to create this spectacular effect.  I submitted this photo to my stock photo agency and they said my camera malfunction.  It didn’t of course but to people who stay behind the scenes in an office all day, they see little of the special moments in life.
image
Always believe the Empirical evidence of your own eyes!
Continued to Part II …

No comments:

Post a Comment