Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Graveyard Fields

Graveyard Fields is off the Blue Ridge Parkway going South on mile marker 418.  It is a hiking destination, but also a blueberry picking destination late summer/early fall.  I went there this past week to hike, but also to see it’s waterfalls (upper and lower), and for blueberry picking.
After you park your car, there is a trail sign before the trail entrance.  There are three trials but they have conjoining points.  The trails are marked except at the beginning so you need to use some common sense and listening to the water’s location is also useful. 
image
Upon entry into the trail head, you will pass through two bridges, and an area of flowing water where kids like to wade in. 
image
Graveyard Fields Bridges.
Then you will pass through a series of rhododendron bushes that create a tunnel.  As you pass through them, you will then get to a series of walkways.
image
image
Graveyard Fields walkways.
In this vast array of fields you will find blueberries galore.  You will need to pick them of course.  While you are picking your blueberries you will hear the hum of pollinators at work. 
image
Blueberry plants.
As you pass through the fields on your way to the upper falls (which is where I went first) you will hit a sign to the upper falls and I think the graveyard outer loop.  That’s the only sign you will see so you need to pay attention to the trail.  Also you will pass through a creek with rocks and a low water level which you will need to cross to go to the upper falls (at least on the trail they provide you).  You will ascend a little but it’s a fairly easy trail.  Once you hit the upper falls, you may be a little disappointed.  I guess it depends on the season, but I was expecting something more spectacular.  Just being honest.  : )
image
Graveyard Fields Upper Falls.
In fact, I attempted to climb a rock mud wall in search of it.  When I realized I may have issues getting down, I decided to abandon the quest and just go back to the fields to blueberry pick.  I spent about two hours blueberry picking to get my harvest.  I had a young man (whom I think may have been a college student) with his dog, Mabel harvesting also alongside me.  I encouraged him to pick as the blueberries were vast in number and ripe, so he did. 
image
My Blueberry Harvest.
I had been to Graveyard Fields early August and had picked some blueberries, but there were a large amount of plants not ripe yet.  I had made a blueberry crisp, which was out of this world.  They were the best tasting blueberries I had ever had, which led me back for more. 
When I finished, I continued my journey back and detoured a little to go to the lower falls.  The view was spectacular.  I was glad I went to the upper falls first, because I may had opted out after seeing the lower falls.  I sat on the rocks, watching others take pictures of their families.  I also got a tip from a nice woman who instructed me where to find fresh blackberries.  She told me about a trail a few miles away, which will be a post at a later time. 
image
Graveyard Fields Upper Falls
Graveyard Fields is a good hike for the various reasons I have mentioned before.  It is frequented so it’s good for lone hikers or hikers with dogs as well as groups.  The blueberry picking is great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment