Thursday, January 30, 2014

Princess Snow

I'm going to digress today on my blog to where it all started for me, turning from an occasional hiker to an avid hiker and from a fine artist to a nature photographer/passionate birder.  It's a good topic also, since the Winter of 2013/2014 has seen a Snowy Owl invasion unlike any since the Winter of 1926/27 (according to North Jersey.com article, "North Jersey birders delighted by snowy owl invasion").  According to the article, when lemmings peak, the Snowy Owls produce larger clutches, then force their babes out to fly South to find food.

The Winter of 2011/2012 sent one of those darlings down to Merrill Creek Reservoir about a half-hour from where I was living at the time in New Jersey.  We all 'flocked' (no pun intended - well maybe ; )) to see her.  I nicknamed her, Princess Snow.  There she was that first day I saw her, sleeping in a tree.  A hiking group had already exhausted her.  I know because I overslept and was suppose to be with them.  By the time I got to visit her, she was tuckered out. 


Princess Snow in the flesh. 

I am a friendly sort, so I started talking to the 'birders' there and found them to be very friendly also.  I went back to see Princess Snow several times that Winter and started hanging with the birders and an older wildlife photographer who let me look through his scope (because she liked to fly up on the rocks and hunt from there) and he would tell me different birder stories.  I thought to myself, these birders are great people so I became one. 

Princess Snow departed in the Spring.  I believe it was sometime in April 2012.  I like to believe Princess Snow made it safely back up to the Arctic, found a handsome and good provider of a mate, and had little Snowy Owls herself.  I know for a fact, she left a lasting impression on me as well as other birders and spectators.  So here's to the Snowy Owl invasion - may they all safely make it back home.  Those whom are being rehabilitated (like the one here in WNC) may they recover fully and be released to fly safely home also and have babes (yes, I know that's not the technical term). 

No comments:

Post a Comment