Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Smoky Mountain National Park - First Visit - Part 1

On Labor Day, I decided it was time I had visited Smoky Mountain National Park.  I got a late start and the park is about 63 miles from where I live.  I drove on the highway through Asheville, through Waynesville, then Maggie Valley, continuing through Cherokee till I arrived at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center.  I walked inside to obtain some free literature/pamphlets and I bought another little book on Cades Cove (reserved for second or third visit).  I then was greeted by an Assassin bug on my car window.  Assassin bugs are beneficial and are not killed.
image
I then took a walk around back to visit the Mountain Farm Museum.  As I walked around I envisioned that life would return to this way if an EMP attack would take place by either solar or enemy means.  I also questioned myself if I would be able to live this way should it happen and I believe I would be able to survive.  Although I am grateful for modern conveniences in my life now, despite not having every latest form of technology.  Not be an early adapter is what I am stating of myself.
image
The first building I came upon was the Farmhouse.  It appeared to be one and half floors such as the farmhouse on Little House on the Prairie where the second floor was a loft for sleeping while the first floor was for gathering.  It was built of wood, but I could not tell you what kind.
image
Inside the Farmhouse on the first floor there was a small cot, a sewing machine and a piano.  There was also a saucer with a pitcher for washing up before dinner.  There was also a wood fireplace.  I imagined that the people whom lived here would be considered wealthy in their time.
image
image
Continued to Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment