Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Smoky Mountains National Park - First Visit - Part 4

Living in the 1800s or early 1900s required you provide your own sustenance by raising your own livestock (besides having a garden).  Also there were no motor vehicles, so you got around on your own two legs or via a horse (whether horseback or a carriage drawn by horses).  The livestock was kept in the barn, which also acted as a stable.
image
Inside the barn/stable up top is a loft.
image
Inside the barn/stable downstairs, equipped with saddles.
image
The Museum had limited livestock outside.  Here are some chickens - free range of course.  They ate much healthier than we do now before the factory farms.
image
Hogs were a staple of their diet.  My late mother was raised on a farm and told me of how her pet pig was in time slaughtered.  After her story I don’t think I could ever raise hogs myself.  They are intelligent animals.
image
Where the hogs live, but were not there at the time I went.  I could smell that some lived there.  Maybe they were in the shed.
image
Just a quick note.  Defacing any public property can actually get you a fine, so save it for your notepad or technological device.  : )
image
I will wrap up the Museum Farmstead on the next post and move on to another topic.
Continued to Part 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment