Sunday, January 26, 2014

Grandfather Mountain

This is one of my favorite places.  I am a member here and come at least once a year but now I live closer so I will visit more often.  Grandfather Mountain is situated in Linville, NC.  It is North of where I live right now, so it gets more snow and ice than I do.  Grandfather Mountain is not only a great place to hike, but it also has wildlife habitats.  Also, it has a little shop and a FUDGE SHOP!  That's right.  There's chocolate on that mountain.  : )
Depending on how you travel there you may hit Brown Mountain first.  Brown Mountain is famous for 'lights'.  Apparently at night you can see lights or orbs around Brown Mountain.  There may be a geographic reason for this though.  Years ago I saw a show that reported on lights near where I grew up in NJ.  We natives refer to it as "the Hooker Man" but it may just be the way the quartz electromagnetically reacts to atmospheric changes.  If you want to know the story of "the Hooker Man" I suggest reading Weird NJ.
image
Brown Mountain.
image
Brown Mountain.

After we pay our admission or flash our membership card, we will enter the gate and head up the mountain.  On your way up on the right is a picnic area.  This also has a little loop for hiking also. 

There is also a wood shop where you can purchase hand made plaques and items and watch the woodsman work.

Here we are.  Great elevation but we are still on our way up. 

We have to stop off at the Sphinx Rock, because everyone does and right around the corner (within a short walking distance) is the FUDGE SHOP!!!

Fudge shop.
Next we will go up and then round the bend and stop off at the Wildlife Habitats.  Lets stop at the Deer Habitat first.

Then the Cougar (or Mountain Lion).

Then the River Otters.

Next the Eagles.  The first photo is of Wilma (God Rest Her Soul).  Wilma died in 2010. 

The next is a Golden Eagle that is no longer there unless used for an educational raptor.

I Love Golden Eagles. 
This is the current Bald Eagle at Grandfather Mountain.

Around the Wildlife Habitats and the Gift Shop building you will see flowers.  These are Day Lilies. 


Instead of driving all the way to the top where you can park, I always park at the first level parking and hike up through the trails so I can see the floral and fauna and yes I have seen wild animals such as squirrels, chipmunks, and white-tailed deer.

And the beautiful Rhododendrons. 
So I made it to the top and here are the magnificent views. 



This photo below with the tower on is actually Grandmother Mountain or so I was told.  I guess you don't want a bachelor mountain.  : )

There are viewers on the mountain for you to look through. 

And you don't want to miss walking on the Mile High Bridge.  They close the bridge if the winds are too strong. 


So we are heading back down the mountain so I can show you the best part of Grandfather Mountain and that is ...

The Grandfather Mountain Bears. 

And they look forward to seeing you, especially if you have nuts, seeds, and honey.  : )  Something nutritious please. 

I Love the Bears. 
I will be writing more about Grandfather Mountain when the weather gets warmer.  I am a member so as soon as the weather gets warmer I will head up the mountain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment