Thursday, January 23, 2014

Indian Ladders Waterfalls

Indian Ladders is a hike I went on once with the Appalachian Mountain Club and I tried to go on it again but what I thought was it was not and we only hit one waterfall.  Very few people know this trail where you hit Tumbling Waters waterfall, Upper Indian Ladders waterfall, and Lower Indian Ladders waterfalls.  I remember parking by the Mile 10 marker off of Rt. 209 between Bushkill and Dingman's Ferry and entering with the group into a forest area. 

The hike started out along a stream and went upwards into the Pennsylvania forest.  We got glimpses of small waterfalls along the way.

We walked up a bunch of hand made stairwells. 

Lizards, newts, and skinks along the way.  Also fungus - lots of different colored mushrooms. 

First waterfall we hit was Tumbling Waters that we saw between the trees till we got closer.

Tumbling Waters.
Then we walked further and hit Indian Ladders Upper and then Lower Falls. 

I remember when I first saw the Upper Falls thinking this must be the Mother of all Falls, but I've been to waterfalls in NC now and they are just as equal in majesty.

This is one of the more scenic PA hikes I've been on.  I know that at some point we had to use a rope to descend part of the trail because it was steep, so you want to have some hiking experience behind you before you go on this trail.  I went on this hike back in August 2011, so you may want to check road conditions after the past couple hurricane seasons the Northeast has had and plan accordingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment