Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Cabelas

image
This post is rather on where to get hiking and camping supplies rather than hiking itself.  I must stress again that I like my wildlife and birds alive and not dead before I start, but I do respect the art of taxidermy.  Cabelas is a store that not only offers great deals on products, but also has the most incredible taxidermy displays that are curated in a store.  They are museum quality.   The store I have gone to is the Hamburg, PA store.
Immediately as you enter the store, you are hit with the taxidermy displays.  There is a huge installation in the center of the store.
image
image
Several species of wildlife are on this display from deer, elk, moose, wolves, musk ox, bears (all breeds), mountain goat, etc…
image
You wonder how they get them posed so well.  They obviously didn’t shoot them posing for the camera - well I hope they didn’t.  That would be sadistic. 
image
This big boy is enormous.  It’s sad to think their lives were ended.
image
The moose actually has the whole family there with the female despite her not being pictured here with them.  The curator obviously respects the lives of these animals and want to show them in their everyday lives.
There is a separate room for deer.  There are lots of deer in the room alone.
image
image
image
There is also a section for African animals, which is my personal favorite since it’s highly unlikely I will be able to go on an actual safari. 
image
The African Lions are beautiful.
image
They curated them on a ‘hunt’. 
image
And there is a Rhino among other animals. 
image
Just another day at the watering hole. 
image
Besides the Center exhibit, the deer exhibit, and the African exhibit there are smaller ones in glass cases of birds and fish on the walls in the fishing department.  I believe more customers spend their time taking pictures with their smartphones than shopping - at least the first couple times they go.  I can’t speak for the other Cabela’s stores, but the Hamburg store is incredible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment