Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chimney Rock Park

I hiked Chimney Rock Park today again.  I took the Four Seasons Trail from the first parking lot all the way up to Exclamation Point.  This has become one of my favorite hikes just for the workout it gives your hips and legs due to the fact it is all uphill (at least when you are ascending).  The trail is free from debris and takes you through the woods till you hit the several staircases.  While hiking you will hear the forest wildlife, especially the squirrels swinging from tree to tree gathering their nuts for the coming winter.
The park was packed today being a holiday weekend.  It took me about a half hour to make it through the ticket gate due to the expanse of cars.  When I had reached it, the lady informed me that next time toimage
come in the building to get waved through because I have an annual membership and it comes with perks like that.  I am an advocate of memberships.  They support parks and wildlife and if you are a hiker, they are well worth it.
I was happy to see it so full, even though my hike was not as peaceful as usual.  It brings revenue into the NC park system, which is always needed due to unanticipated natural degradation through the seasons.  Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, even the people who are clearly not hikers and parked on the second parking area.  They still could feel a sense of accomplishment ascending the steps to the chimney rock with flag and up to Devil’s Head and Exclamation Point, which you still must take part in parking on the upper lot.
image
I made it to the top of Exclamation Point (the highest point) then started to descend.  It began to lightning and thunder, but in NC that could turn into a rain storm or it could pass over.  I decided to carry on with my plan of taking the Four Seasons Trail back also.  I almost made it back to my car, but then the sky opened up and the monsoon rain came down.  Buckets poured upon me and I wrapped my outer shirt around my Nikon to try to protect it as I speedily descended (almost running) the last 15 minutes of the way.  I was drenched down to my very last article of clothing, but it was a good hike.  My Nikon survived also.  I usually bring a backpack, but it was so nice out, I left it home, forgetting how fast the weather can change these days.
The last time I had hiked the Four Seasons Trail (a week and a half ago), I had snapped a picture of a cricket.  Little did I realize the cricket was carrying another with it.  This photo soon became one of my favorites that I had taken.  I snap a lot of photos when I hike, but when I get them home and process them some contain additional treasures image
that I can not see while snapping them.  This is truly a representation of the compassion I have seen in nature, which is a topic to be explored in a later post.
Lake Lure can be seen below at the second parking lot or above along with a blanket of the Blue Ridge mountains.  This photo was taken a week and a half ago when I had my landscape lens on me.  Today boats could be seen below carrying holiday vacationers.  Both towns of Lake Lure and Chimney Rock were buzzing today and several of the hotels had No Vacancy signs posted up.  I love these towns and not living too far away frequent both on a regular basis.  image

No comments:

Post a Comment