Sunday, January 26, 2014

Lehigh Valley Zoo - Part Two

In part two I am going to begin with one of my favorite residents of the zoo and that is Cranky.  Cranky (the name they gave to him) is an African Spurred Tortoise and he has the most expressive face of any reptile I have seen.  When it is winter he stays inside with the Kookaburra.  In Spring and Summer you may see him sash-saying around the grass eating by the Guinea Hens. 

A little ways down from Cranky with have two more smaller Tortoises, Kangaroos, the Aoudads, Camels, Wallabies, Onyxes, and Zebras. 

Next come three of the animals I also love which are the Gray Fox (up there with Cranky), the Canadian Lynx, and the Bobcat.

Louie (his name) the Gray Fox.  Louie came to them from a smaller zoo within past few years and is adjusting well.

Lexi was someone's pet for a year before they realized they could not raise her and she has been at the zoo over 10 years.  I found a kindred spirit in Lexi.  She's a good girl. 

Shitz-pa (spg?) hangs on usually on her branch in the front unless too many visitors are there and she wants privacy.   I saw her eying one of the Peacocks who was sitting close to her pen one day. 

These are the beautiful Palominos at the zoo who once lived out on the Trexler Game Preserve.  They were moved in so the zoo could take care of them and they are getting older.  I believe my friend at the zoo told me that they are around 30 years old each.  They don't look a day over 19.

Then there are the Mexican Wolves, whom last I knew were on the endangered list along with Red Wolves.  Why do people kill animals they don't understand?  These wolves are at the zoo for their protection and to eventually be used in breeding.  They offer a wolf feed where you can watch them devour a deer (most likely road kill).  It's interesting to watch because you can witness the 'pack' mentality.  I may decide to post my photos of it at a later time here.
There is a Porcupine and several Raptor habitats and you will round out at the Lemurs.  This little pair (one male and one female) like to hang out in their tree.  I believe the male has the reddish face.  Anyway, you may witness the Lemur feed also which will allow you to get better photos of them, because they tend to be reclusive. 

Since I've been there (almost a year ago) they have added some new animals.  I believe they got a Raccoon and a Skunk.  Their map can be found here.  http://lvzoo.org/zoo_map.cfm
On your way out don't forget to cross the fjord, so you can get a glimpse of the elk herd. 

I nicknamed him King Wapiti.  He has a harem of females.

And the herd of Buffalo.  My friend, Kelly, at the zoo fought to allow the Buffalo to breed and so there are babies now.  I can't wait to go up and see them again.  Hopefully this Easter. 
The Lehigh Valley Zoo is one of the nicer zoos I have gone to.  Also you can hike on the Trexler Game Preserve.  It is well worth the trip and every visit helps the birds, animals, and reptiles get fed, have shelter, and veterinary care.  Please do not boycott zoos because you think you are helping the animals because you are not.  Many of these animals come to the zoo because they are endangered, suffer from a medical condition, or have been imprinted upon and can not survive out in the wild.  Please support your zoos.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment